This course opens up the world of the built environment sector, which covers all aspects of the creation of our towns and cities, and is fundamental to creating a sustainable future. It is an introductory qualification to develop the skills and knowledge required by employers in the construction and built environment industry.
There will be one external exam - 40%
Learners will also have one synoptic assignment across two years, the synoptic assignment will have 4-6 tasks and these may include reports and presentation based – 60%. The synoptic assignment is externally set, internally marked and externally moderated. The assignment requires learners to identify and use effectively in an integrated way an appropriate selection of skills, techniques, concepts, theories, and knowledge from across the content area.
Employer involvement is a mandatory component of the delivery and assessment of the Technical Qualifications. Learners will partake in several activities with construction companies throughout the academic year and produce an employer involvement diary which will be internally assessed and externally moderated.
Upon achieving this qualification, learners will have a choice of seeking employment or going on to further learning or education, progressing on to qualifications such as:
- Construction Technician Apprenticeship
- Higher Apprenticeship in Construction Operations Management
- Foundation Degrees in the following areas: Construction and the Built Environment, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Building Surveying, Conservation and Restoration
Learners can apply to University to study a range of qualifications within the construction and Built Environment sector;
- Architectural Design Technology
- Construction Management
- Civil Engineering
The City & Guilds Level 3 Advanced Technical Certificate in Constructing the Built Environment can lead to employment opportunities as a:
- Construction Design Technician
- Construction Site Technician
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Construction Site Engineer
- Construction Work Supervisor
- Construction Site Supervisor
- Architectural Technician
- Building Surveyor
- Civil Engineer